Knells Lodge was built in 1824 and was the gate house to the former manor known as Knells House. Commissioned by the Dixon family it covered an area to the east of the village of Houghton and included a farm, land and workers cottages.

When money worries forced the sale of the Knells in 1871 a family known as the Fells bought the Knells as a whole and carried on running the estate until they also could no longer afford to look after the estate and it was sold in lots in 1921.

Knells lodge and a few acres of land were sold to the Robinson family and the decedents still own the property and this is the story of our renovation project.

Welcome to our website, this Site was originally set up to show the renovation of the Lodge to the former Knells House. It is now also the home of the Smith's

We will over time add content and images, in the mean time enjoy the history of the building and our renovation of the building.

Please follow us on our Blog as we head to New Zealand

Smith Family Blog

Site Map